Marist Brothers High School,
Darlinghurst
Old Boys’ Union

Blue & Blue

Welcome to the fourth edition of your B & B for 2005.

Annual Mass & Dinner:

From the editor:

From Fr Denis: (July 05)

“My time in Perugia is nearing an end, but I am happy to send greetings to all the Darlo old boys, especially those from the year of 1946.

Last year I celebrated 50 years in the Dominican Order and 46 years of priesthood.  The apostolate over those years ranged from teaching at Blackfriars Priory school in Adelaide, to administration of University Colleges in Melbourne, Armidale and Canberra on to being Novice Master for twelve years and also local attaché at the Apostolic Nunciature in Canberra.

The offer of a sabbatical brought me to Italy where I have been for the most part studying the local language and culture.  As you know there is a large Italian speaking population in Australia and our Parish in Adelaide has an Italian Sunday Mass each week.

Also for years I have been trying to read in the original language of “Divina Commendia” of Dante Alighieri.  I arrived in time for a refresher course in Italian at a residential language school at Castelraimondo, a small town in the Marche, with the help of a small grant from the Dante Alighieri Society in Melbourne.

This was followed by a relaxation period in Rome, where I was fortunate to be able to stay with the Irish Dominicans at the Basilica of San Clemente, not far from the Colosseo.  I had the opportunity to travel several regions of Italy, from Pompeii in the south to Aosta and Trieste in the north, mostly in connection with Dante lectures and displays.

From January to June I was enrolled in the intensive course at the University for Foreigners in Perugia, the capital city of Umbria, to qualify for the University Diploma in Italian Language and Culture.  Thousands of students from all over the world come each year to this hilltop city with its fascinating medieval Centro Storico; Chinese and Japanese are now in the majority.

I have stayed with the Italian Dominicans who staff the Basilica of San Domenico, from where there is a panoramic view of Assisi, about twenty kilometers away.

I return to Melbourne shortly, with some uncertainty about my future location.

Kind regards,

Fr Denis Hallinan O.P.”

Hope to see many of you at the Mass and Dinner.

Warren Thomas
President

President:
Warren Thomas
9525 4260
Vice president:
Bill Cramsie
9743 2255
Secretary/Membership:
Larry Hensby
9528 3957
Treasurer:
Vince Hallinan
9533 2237
Committee: John Chippendale, Colin Sullivan, Br Charlie Aqualina, Mark Sinclair & Dominic Sidoti
All mail to:
The Secretary,
PO Box A1411
Sydney South. 1235