Marist Brothers High School,
Darlinghurst
Old Boys’ Union

Blue & Blue - May 2010

Welcome to the first edition of your B & B for 2010. My apologies for not getting one out sooner but this year has been rather busy and I am getting slacker in my old age. The offset is that we are not asking for subscriptions to the OBU from now on.
We have a fairly stable mailing list and also a fairly healthy bank balance so combined with the fact that next year sees our 100th anniversary (and probably our swan song) it seems a fair payback to you our loyal members to cease asking for subs.

From the executive:

The most recent sad news was the passing of Marist brother and great OBU supporter, Br Vianney Dignam. Interestingly, although a proud Darlo old boy, he never had an appointment at the High School. He did though have at least 24 appointments over his career until retirement in 2000. In all he served the Marist Order for over 64 years. What a wonderful life of service to the Lord and we thank him for his gift to so many he has shared his life with over his teaching years. I attach a copy of the eulogy delivered at the funeral which was attended by many old boys and fellow Marist Brothers.

This year’s luncheon will once again be held at City Tattersalls Club in Pitt St; 1200 for 1230. The date is Friday 9 July. Please fill out the attached form and send along with your cheque to indicate your intention to attend. Brothers/Priests just let us know you are coming and we will be delighted to absorb the cost.
You are reminded that this year the luncheon will be held two days before the 99th anniversary of the opening of The High School at Darlinghurst. I urge a special effort to attend and celebrate the occasion. There will be a special menu arranged for the day and drinks will be included in the (increased) cost of $75.

Prior to the lunch on 9 July, we will be having a meeting of interested members to plan          our Centenary celebration next year. All those who have expressed interest in assisting in organizing this event (and any others now available) are asked to be at City Tattersalls Club at 10.00am. Reception will direct you to the meeting location.

After a couple of good experiences in the last two years, we are returning to the  Rugby Club in Rugby Pl (just off George St). Mark your diaries for Thurs 4 Nov. More details later in the year. Get your class tables organized now. The ’65 class has indicated it will be holding its LC 45th anniversary on the night so what about the ’60 and ’50 classes doing the same for their 50th and 60th respectively? We need numbers early so if you have a special reunion in mind, let me know soonest so I can consider larger room options within the Rugby Club.

President:
Warren Thomas
9527 9857
Vice president:
Mark Sinclair

Secretary/Membership:
Larry Hensby
9528 3957
Treasurer:
Vince Hallinan
9533 2237

Committee: Colin Sullivan, Br Charles Aquilina.

All mail to:
The Secretary,
PO Box A1411
Sydney South. 1235